Ascent Along the Way
The mortal peoples along The Way are legion not only in number, but also belief, development, and culture; their characteristics are shaped by the inherent nature of the Layers that they inhabit, and their relative separation from other Layers. Some peoples may maintain close ties because of their Layer’s proximity or relative ease of travel through the Tower, but most are separated by vast gulfs of deadly or uncomfortable terrain.
Races along the WayWhile not an exhaustive list, the major mortal races along The Way are:
- Humans, one of the most prolific races.
- Halflings, smaller cousins to the human race and lovers of art.
- Orcs, strong, proud, and boisterous.
- Dwarves, acquisitive and reserved, masters of the underground.
- Elves, stewards of plants and the gentler beasts.
- Drow, the Elves’ darker, subterranean-dwelling cousins.
- Gnomes, reclusive wielders of magic.
- Demidemons, children of the Tower.